Thursday, February 28, 2008

posted by   |  permalink  |  8 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/28/2008 7:00 AM  |  Flag
There is nothing more dangerous than a Pit owner who doesn't understand what they own.

These idiots a just begging to be regulated.

Blogger melanie2  |  2/28/2008 1:22 PM  |  Flag
If anyone out there can get me contact information on the victim and the dog owner in Amarillo, please send it to me at

I am with Hearts and Hooves of Lubbock, and I personally am fed up with reading about dog (yes, mostly pit bulls)attacks on other animals. The insanity must stop.

Thank you.

Anonymous Dee  |  2/28/2008 10:02 PM  |  Flag
If officials can take the "dog fighters" down -- who continue to breed pit bulls for the purposes of fighting -- communities might stand a chance!, has the most honest and accurate information regarding pit bulls:

The Breed's Original Purpose
Humans have created specialized dogs through emphasizing desired traits and eliminating unwanted ones. It is no different with the pit bull type dogs. The American Pit Bull Terrier has been "selectively" bred for hundreds of years to fight other dogs. This is the sad "work" these dogs were created for. In the same way that Labradors were bred to retrieve birds, APBTs were bred to face other dogs in mortal combat. Even in dogs that are not recently bred from fighting lines, the urge to fight can arise at any time. Not to strongly emphasize this fact would be negligent.

That said, we can't blame specialized breeds for behaving as they were bred to. Specific traits were bred into the dogs and are now part of the breed's character. It's like the digging instinct of many Terriers, the herding behavior in Shelties, the compulsion to run in Greyhounds, etc. Your Pointer may have never spent a day on a real hunt, but he may still point and flush birds as his ancestors did.

It's a mistake to think that the fighting gene can be trained or loved out of a dog, or that early socialization will guarantee your pit bull will always get along with other animals. There are precautions to take when owning pit bulls, especially in a multiple-dog environment. Unfortunately these precautions are often viewed as acceptance for the sport of pit-fighting when nothing could be further from the truth. Knowing how to avoid a fight, as well as how to break it up if, despite all efforts one strikes, is proof of smart and responsible pit bull ownership.

Never trust a pit bull not to fight...
It is not a hate of other dogs that causes pit bulls to fight, but rather an "urge" to do so that has been bred into the dogs for many generations. Pit bulls may fight over hierarchic status, but external stimulus or excitement can also trigger a fight. Remember that any canine can fight, but pit bulls were bred specifically for their drive, intensity, and determination to win.

Pit bull owners must be aware of the remarkable fighting abilities these dogs posses and always keep in mind that pit bulls have the potential to inflict serious injury to other animals. A pit bull may not even be the one starting a conflict, but he has the genetics to finish it. Remember that pit bulls are almost always blamed no matter who initiated the hostilities, and often end up paying the does the owner!

That said, some pit bulls get along great with other pets and may live happily with other dogs without incident. We just can't assume that this is true for all of them, or take for granted that pit bulls getting along with other pets today will do so tomorrow. Pit bull owners must have common sense and make sure they don't set their dogs up for failure by putting them in inappropriate situations.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/29/2008 5:49 AM  |  Flag
"Pit bull owners must have common sense and make sure they don't set their dogs up for failure by putting them in inappropriate situations."

That's the problem right there...As a rule the wolf hybid people know what they own, keep them confined, and away from the public. Usually when there is an incident,it's just the owner who gets shredded and the public doesn't really care.

I'm still not convinced that fighting breeds deserve the presumption of domestication due to their highly unnatural and grotesque selection.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/29/2008 10:45 AM  |  Flag
This story just breaks my heart...the mare desperately trying to protect her filly, bravely facing down this dog, only to be mauled severely. Horses really don't have a chance against these dogs.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  3/27/2008 7:45 AM  |  Flag
My 25 year old quarter horse was attacked by a pit bull today. I was bathing the horse, brushing his tail, nothing to provoke the dog. The dog took my horse down like a mountain lion takes down an elk. It was frightening. Even when I released my horse to run, the dog kept after him, even after the horse trampled him trying to get away. My horse has a serious wound on his leg. The dog was put down by the owner.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  11/13/2008 6:02 PM  |  Flag
My horses are being chased, one was bitten by a pit bull. I have called animal control, more than once, and will continue to do so. I,ve spoken to the person who owns the dog and told her it is well within my right to shoot her dog. I worry all the time about my beloved horses. I dont want to kill the dog, but I cant let it attack my horses. This dog isnt even a year old yet. The owner is doing a better job keeping it at home, but every time it gets loose, its in my pasture looking for trouble. It makes me sick to read about others who have had the same issues with these dogs. I work in veterinary medicine, and see dogs all the time attacked, and most of them by this breed. These dogs are genitically bred to fight, just as a hunting breed wants to hunt. What happens when this dog attacks a person, a child. Any dog can attack, and will. These dogs are attacks waiting to happen, and with very little regulations on them. People who want to own them should have a permit, just like one has to have to own a gun.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  11/29/2008 5:03 PM  |  Flag
I really feel bad for the people that own American Pit Bull Terrier. If they could have found a responsible English Staffordshire Terrier they would be better off. This dog has only been bred to fight more extensively here in the US in the last century. If you can get one from Europe or a well bred dog they are not always so mean.