Monday, February 20, 2012

posted by   |  permalink  |  7 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Blogger skeptifem  |  2/21/2012 1:41 AM  |  Flag
I wonder why the medical establishment isn't required to report to animal control when dog bites are treated? It seems like a common sense law to prevent future injuries.

If the pit bull lobby came out against that it would show their true colors to everyone.

OpenID truthbird  |  2/21/2012 11:36 AM  |  Flag
This seems to vary in different jurisdictions. At the very least, the medical establishment should be concerned with the rabies quarantine, which is state law across the board.

Blogger Candormd  |  2/28/2012 4:05 PM  |  Flag
It is also important to file the bite report not just with animal control but the police department, the mayor's or city council department, and any other authority including the state.

Reports filed with one department can often mysteriously be "lost."

Keep copies of your reports. Send them by certified mail and keep receipts to prove they were accepted. A verbal or email complaint is never enough.

It is also vitally important to contact an attorney if there has been any damage, injury, anything. The sooner the better. That goes for injuries such as dog knocking you down, any related injury by a dog. And find an attorney with experience handling dog bite or injury cases.

Blogger Candormd  |  2/28/2012 4:06 PM  |  Flag
The hospital and doctor was negligent by not reporting that dog bite. There are laws regarding reporting due to rabies, etc.

Blogger Susan0920  |  4/13/2014 4:56 PM  |  Flag
My neighbors pit I'll jumped her fence and attacked another neighbors dog (bordering yard). I'm one yard over and wonder if I can report since the neighbors involved won't.

Blogger Colleen Lynn  |  4/13/2014 10:23 PM  |  Flag
I would certainly try, especially if you witnessed it. You have every reason to report if you or a family member witnessed this.

Blogger Anonymous  |  3/03/2016 6:51 PM  |  Flag
Thank you all for helping make a decision with a neighbor's dog that attacked my daughter