Monday, July 19, 2010

posted by   |  permalink  |  7 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Blogger 4truth  |  7/19/2010 9:34 AM  |  Flag
This is a very interesting article. I'm going to buy the magazine this article was printed in and write to them about it. They have my support if they continue to publish the truth about Pit bulls....I might subscribe to it!

Blogger cravendesires  |  7/19/2010 12:55 PM  |  Flag
this a very powerful piece. thank you gary.

Blogger Dark  |  7/19/2010 2:21 PM  |  Flag
Here's yet another piece in the arsenal to dispute pit myths and erroneous claims that spout like mushrooms in comment threads following pit attacks. I wish that more true, experienced, and properly educated animal behaviorists would speak out about this problem to counter all the half baked vet techs who think they're animal experts and claim to be behaviorists when they're really just dog owners. Thanks for the honesty and excellent work, Mr. Wilkes.

Blogger Art  |  7/20/2010 1:23 PM  |  Flag
I've read articles by Gary Wilkes and done clicker training.

I never knew he came from a dog fighting family, but his personal and professional background give him unique authority on this subject.

This is the most cogent discussion I've ever read about the dog fighting/selective breeding/genetic basis for the pit bull's singular Jekyll/Hyde temperament and why every pit bull is a hand grenade AND the hand pulling the pin. I'm going to direct everyone I can to read this article.

The nutters' blurring and confusing the lines between genetic and environmental behavior is one of their most insidious tactics.

Thank your for clearly explaining that you cannot train out these genetically inherited behaviors. And the Jekyll/Hyde temperament of the pit bull is genetically inherited.

Blogger  |  7/07/2014 12:57 AM  |  Flag
Well said.

Blogger Richard Prince  |  7/16/2015 9:23 AM  |  Flag
one will find that the pit bull problem is only complex due to listening to pro-pit bull groups instead of listening to one's own common sense: Pit bulls are dangerous and the public deserves protection from them.

The best part for me. Proactive is the key. Reacting to the pit bull crowd is self defeating.

Thank you for writing this great piece. My legislators will be reading my favorite part

Blogger mary conner  |  2/13/2016 4:20 AM  |  Flag
Me too. I've been researching this issue since I moved to a neighborhood that's full of pit bulls.
I'm 67 years old and all of a sudden, I can't even walk my dog w/o fear of an attack. The mailman told me today he was attacked and showed me the scar. Apparently these dogs are being bred with reckless abandon.