Thursday, February 25, 2010

posted by   |  permalink  |  13 comments  | iconforum  |icon subscribe  |icon comment rss

Anonymous bluesmom  |  2/25/2010 11:41 PM  |  Flag
Public policy should, absolutely, be driven by public safety. There are legal requirements for the spacing of the bars on cribs, materials and design of safety seats, types of paint used on toys, materials for children's sleepers and clothing... on and on. How many children, adults, domestic pets and all manner of livestock have to die before the pit bull safety issue is addressed? Clearly, denial is not working here

Blogger cravendesires  |  2/26/2010 12:20 AM  |  Flag
the pit bull is the ford pinto of the dog world, with a bunch of creepy rescue angels like ledy van kavage, donna reynolds, jane berkey, debra bresch all sitting around the big table working out the cost benefit analysis like lee iacocca and the ford board of directors.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/26/2010 12:09 PM  |  Flag
So why are the pit nutters winning this war? In my opinion, the only difference between the pit bull activists and the pro-BSL side is organization. They get together and lobby and we don't. It really is as simple as that.

One of the things the pro-BSL side is lacking is a place to "congregate" - the nutters have Pit Bull Forum, GameDog, etc, etc and we don't have anywhere. I think dogsbite should consider adding a forum, a moderated forum to keep out the crazies, but one that is not so restricted as the boards here currently are. This would give us an opportunity to discuss ways to lobby for our side.

For example, start calling vets, groomers, doggy daycare, anything we use for our normal dogs and start demanding that they restrict pit bulls and other fighting breeds. Refuse to hire trainers like Stormi King of Seattle, who is a known pit bull activist. Boycott vets that write pro-pit columns or opinion pieces. Boycott businesses whose owners own pits.

There are a lot of us that have been touched by this issue - with thousands of horrendous maulings and a hundred deaths in the last 20years, there has to be. The AVMA and the SPCA would reverse their stance on BSL in short order if they believed it was economically advantageous to them to do so and once they do, it is much easier to get laws that make sense in place to protect our children and our elderly and our pets. But we won't get it done -or at least not nearly as fast - if we just complain in the comments section.

Anonymous FoolMeOnce  |  2/26/2010 12:51 PM  |  Flag
I disagree that organization is the only difference. Money -- huge amounts of money from dog-fighters and breeders and their lobbyists -- that's a huge difference. Besides, I believe dogsbite already has a forum like that of which you speak. And I can assure you that many of us "complainers" are doing our part beyond posting here.

And BTW: have you donated to dogsbite.org today? That's something we can all easily do to help the cause.

Blogger HonestyHelps  |  2/26/2010 3:27 PM  |  Flag
I also agree that money is behind it all. We are a grass roots effort, no money, just justice and truth. We will win and in my opinion, we already are winning. One person can make a difference, so if each of us make the effort, then we have to win.

Anonymous FoolMeOnce  |  2/26/2010 3:40 PM  |  Flag
Plus, Honesty, you have blog, too, correct?

Blogger HonestyHelps  |  2/27/2010 8:56 AM  |  Flag
I have two blogs. My original blog is against Nathan Winograd's "No Kill Equation". Since I feel that the pit bull issue can break the back of the NKE, I have joined forces. Winograd is the one who preaches that pits get a bad rap. And I have a blog that has the media reports on pit attacks since these reports can leave the internet, this is a permanent place to recall them. I put info on these blogs to be used as tools to fight and I hope people are using them.

Anonymous FoolMeOnce  |  2/27/2010 1:07 PM  |  Flag
Thanks, Honesty. I know we had talked before about having a place where we could send all the pit attack/killing links that we come across. I'll be sure to send them to you now. I think the number of life-altering attacks on people, and not just killings, it would be a staggering number. And then, of course, there's all the pets that are attacked by pits.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/27/2010 2:35 PM  |  Flag
Honesty is doing a great public service

Here is his/her blog Pit Bull Attacks by State

These attacks do eventually go off line from news sources, so it is very important to keep a record as this blog does

It is also a reource for victims who have been mauled by previous offenders whose history is being hidden

Everyone who cares about the victims- DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT

Save web pages to your computer, and there are also web sources where these pages may be permanently stored. Does nyone have information about those?

Blogger HonestyHelps  |  2/27/2010 7:34 PM  |  Flag
I do google the news for stories daily but if I miss one please send it. There are some days when it is just too depressing but I catch them up within a couple of days. So it would be good to have backup to make sure we get as many on there as we can. And if anyone makes comments on news stories, then mention the blog www.pitattacksbystate.blogspot.com Thanks.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/27/2010 10:57 PM  |  Flag
Can I nominate Mark Wulkan for man of the year? Finally a doctor who is telling it like it is.

Anonymous FoolMeOnce  |  3/02/2010 9:11 AM  |  Flag
Hey, Honesty, how do I get the info to you about attacks? I went to your blog, but I'm not so technical, and can't figure out how to leave info :) Here's one.

Blogger JustSweatshirts.com  |  9/11/2011 7:27 AM  |  Flag
Publice safety should be top priority. Money and profit should not be put as top priority.