Wednesday, May 14, 2008

posted by   |  permalink  |  11 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Anonymous Anonymous  |  5/14/2008 8:10 AM  |  Flag
In some states in the U.S., I believe it is a felony to harm a service dog. Does this apply to folks with pit bulls? Does anyone know?

Anonymous Former Boy Scout  |  5/14/2008 9:54 AM  |  Flag
Having grown up in San Rafael, CA, and seeing guide dogs in training on a nearly daily basis, I’m particularly outraged by this pit bull attack. It takes a very dedicated, hard working group countless hours to develop one of these absolutely wonderful dogs. The very thought of an ugly pit bull attacking a beautiful guide dogs makes my blood boil!

Ban them! Eradicate them! The sooner the better!

Anonymous Dee  |  5/14/2008 2:35 PM  |  Flag
This is a tragedy from every angle. It also highlights that vicious pit bull attacks -- even after the stitches heal -- have terribly long lasting effects. After being violently assaulted by a predator (just because you were near it and it felt like attacking), you don't forget it. This is true for people and pets.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  5/14/2008 6:23 PM  |  Flag
But...but...Explosive dog aggression is easily manageable and isn't a public safety issue!

Anonymous Jersey  |  5/14/2008 7:28 PM  |  Flag
Great point dee. I don't think the $75 fine comes close to what the victim pays.

Blogger maayangordon  |  9/16/2008 4:44 AM  |  Flag
Hi, I am a guide dog raiser in Seattle, WA. The puppy I am currently raising is named Shep. I love your blog and I love reading about other people’s pet experiences. I also have a website where I sell pet supplies and i have a blog on it also about guide dogs. I built the site to try and help raise money for guide dogs and other animal charities.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  11/15/2008 7:54 PM  |  Flag
After having a few experiences with pitbulls myself, i'm a tad forced to buy into the stereotype this breed has literally earned itself. And the owners are usually irresponsible.

Blogger My Vancouver  |  1/25/2009 2:39 AM  |  Flag
This is disgraceful. I hope the owner of the service dog launches a monster civil suit.

At the very least, pit bull owners should be forced to muzzle these sharks with fur. I have trained Shepherds, Dobies, Rotties, Labs, etc., and have never had the kind of problems with them I've had with pit bulls I ran into casually on three occasions.

One tried to take my arm off, apropos of nothing. Another grabbed my leg while I was cycling. The third stalked and growled at me and my Lab all the way around a park. It was freaky. With each of them, I tried to reason with them, as with a normal dog. There is nothing in their eyes. No intelligence, no responsiveness. They are blank.

Again, I have never experienced other breeds act this way, even in the height of emotion. You can agitate a smart breed like a Dobie or Rottie, and when you say, "Drop it!" they do. Pitties don't.

The Surrey attack follows too closely on the heels of the one in Burnaby Lake Park last fall. A pit bull attacked a horse on the trails.

And each run in I've had with a pittie was associated with a dumbass owner who thought it was funny. Their eyes were as blank as their dogs'.

Maybe a muzzle law for the owners would help, too.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  3/17/2009 11:02 AM  |  Flag
Chris Bublitz is my sister and when I saw Valerie's (her guide dog)post attack condition I was absolutely outraged! Her ear was shredded. Valerie is now terrifed of other dogs no matter what the size and breed of the other dog and turns the other direction when she sees one. This poses a danger to my sister. My sister is too afraid to launch a law suit as the pitbull owner lives near her and she is afraid of retribution. I think the pit bull owner got off far too easily with a $75.00 fine. My sister who is on social assistance has a far greater expense, not only monetarily but also emotionally.

Brigitte Bublitz

Anonymous Felony  |  3/17/2009 11:28 AM  |  Flag
My neighbor's seeing eye dog was recently attacked and although the dog only received superficial injury, it is experiencing some kind of PTSD. The guide dog people have been really supportive and helpful to my neighbor. Please advise your sister to seek help from her local guide dog organization.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/30/2009 8:49 PM  |  Flag
I raise Guide Dog puppies in Nevada and 3 years ago my black lab in training named Colorado got attacked by a Pit-bull. He did not pass because of it and it changed my life and i will never get over it and i think that pitts need to be stopped