Tuesday, April 2, 2013

posted by   |  permalink  |  16 comments  | iconforum  |icon subscribe  |icon comment rss

OpenID 8f57896c-9857-11e1-91d6-000f20980440  |  3/06/2013 8:36 PM  |  Flag
I haven't gotten over the shock of Ryan Maxwell's death. Now, I'm just numb. When will the pit bull nightmare be over? How many more times do we need to learn this lesson? Pit bulls are dangerous dogs, and should not be pets. If all dogs were like pit bulls, we would not be allowed to own them.

OpenID bentonbergny  |  3/06/2013 9:53 PM  |  Flag
Property owners, landlords, need to understand that if they allow pit bulls on their property, they will be held accountable for attacks.

They must take responsibility for their property.

Blogger orangedog  |  3/06/2013 11:16 PM  |  Flag
This is hopelessly sad. :(

Blogger PutMeInCharge4OneDay  |  3/07/2013 10:26 AM  |  Flag
6 pit bull deaths so far this year, is that enough yet?

Once again I groaned out loud when I saw that the site had been updated this morning. I could not believe it.

How can this latest news article from TMJ 4 DARE to have a link to their article
"pit bull Attacks are quite rare" at the bottom of their report on this babies death?
I wonder if the mother of this child read or heard reports like that and thought nothing of leaving her child with someone that had two of these killing machines. Perhaps Coleen can contact them and tell them of the 6 RARE events already this year and if they have any sense or responsibility that is the kind of information they will link after reporting on the death of Dax.

Blogger orangedog  |  3/07/2013 10:42 AM  |  Flag
The nutters are out in force sliming up the comments section. They don't realize that "It's the owner!" contradicts "Nanny dogs!"
Why do you have to train Nanny NOT to attack children???
I've also seen comments implying that this babysitter trained her dogs to attack children - that seems like something that would ruin your child care business, but I'm "uneducated" so what do I know.
There's at least one nutter claiming that she'd rather be bitten by a mini poodle.

"Any dog could do this!, The baby did something!, Other dogs kill people, we just don't hear about it - media bias! They probably aren't real pit bulls! I have a pit service dog! UR ignorant!"

I swear we could make a game called Pitnutter Bingo except it would be the easiest game ever.
I am completely saddened by these idiots complete lack of introspection after 6 deaths in two months.

Blogger orangedog  |  3/07/2013 11:21 AM  |  Flag
If they were actually held responsible for "blame the deed" then pit ownership would drop drastically.

Blogger Your Quiet Neighbor  |  3/07/2013 1:17 PM  |  Flag
Remember the Emmett Till murder back in the 1950s? He was the young man who was killed during a visit to Mississippi. Local rumor was that he had whistled at a white woman.

His mother decided to have an open casket funeral so that the world could see what was done to her son. Suffice it to say that the body of the deceased did not look terribly attractive.

There will come a time when the family of a pit bull victim will do the same thing. And watch public opinion of these dogs change in a hurry.

Blogger Decatur AL livin nt to 4 pits  |  3/07/2013 4:45 PM  |  Flag
I think you are right, YQN. But it will take the families of the "DEAD" victims to help do this. Don't I remember reenactments of car crashes and drunk driving to scare high schoolers. There are all kinds of ads to scare kids from taking drugs. We need these dead babies with the side of their heads bitten off,their necks eaten out, their legs and arms broken to be slathered IN FRONT OF POLITICIANS AND ANIMAL CONTROL EVERYWHERE. I'll be the first to help. I want to see them EVERYWHERE !!!!!

Blogger orangedog  |  3/07/2013 4:46 PM  |  Flag
YQN, I wish I could believe that, but there is an army of pit nutters out there basically using their own kids as "bait". They are willing to take the risk, so they can be part of the persecuted pit experience. They are all too willing to throw each other under the bus, throw abuse accusations around, and make excuses for why Nanny exploded "this time".
I can't think of another breed that has this many advocacy groups - that it needs so many should make a normal person pause.

Blogger vintage  |  3/08/2013 5:17 AM  |  Flag
This was the 213th US Pit Bull DBRF in the 14.25 years since the last CDC report.

The entire US Canine population produced 330 deaths during the 20 year period from 1979 to 1998...Currently, the Pit bull community is on track to meet or exceed 330 DBRFs between 1999-2018.

They just need 117 more DBRFs over the next 5.75 years to do it.

Unfortunately, this should be a piece of cake for them.

*Disclaimer...You Can't Make This Up!

Blogger BrownToad  |  3/08/2013 4:54 PM  |  Flag
A picture paint a thousand words. My girlfriend was okay about pit bulls until one day she saw a picture of an attacked child that happened to be on my screen as I was perusing a news article of a death by pit bull. She was totally horrified (as any normal person would be) by the image. Needless to say she is now firmly in my camp about these horrible dogs. Anyone that can see these images and not be horrified does not have normal human compassion. Much like their dogs Nutters have a brain disorder.

Blogger vintage  |  3/20/2013 5:01 AM  |  Flag
The Local DA has decided no criminal charges are merited here.

Piticides have been the perfect crime going back to the days of Colby.

Blogger Sputnik2009  |  4/03/2013 2:41 AM  |  Flag
I've seen this happen with pit bull type dogs lots of times. It starts as play or cuddling, then when the arousal reaches a certain point it morphs into their inherited most loved game -- the playful jumping and biting becomes determined, dedicated jumping, and the nips turn into ripping whole chunks off the body of the other creature.

Several heritable problems contribute to this:
1) extreme lack of impulse control (call it a kind of ADHD if you like)
2) inability to self-dampen a heightened state of arousal
3) heritable motor patterns, in this case the clamping down and ripping / shearing
4) physical conformation that makes it feel wonderful to the pit type dog to do this (= behavioral conformation)
5) inability to self-interrupt an on-going behavior; insensitivity to interruption of on-going behavior by external stimuli

Pit bull type dogs feel absolutely no angry or fearful emotions while doing this. This is why they're so often docile after the behavior chain has finished, exhausted itself, or they're somehow pulled out of the ADHD / OCD sensory tunnel.

When they re-direct or do serial attacks, it's because the chain isn't done yet -- not enough pleasure gained to exhaust the urge.

Blogger snack sized dog  |  4/03/2013 11:53 AM  |  Flag
Thank you Sputnik for your description of how this playfulness becomes a lethal frenzy.

OpenID bentonbergny  |  4/03/2013 12:01 PM  |  Flag
This also goes down in the record as more "beloved and well cared for family pit bulls" MAULING THEIR OWN OWNER!

Blogger Jeff Deejay Bogart  |  1/15/2014 10:09 AM  |  Flag