Lives at Stake
San Ramon, CA - We first reported on firefighters receiving special training to tackle "aggressive pit bulls" back in October. Due to the number of pit bulls encountered at emergency scenes, Omaha firefighters underwent Pit Bull Training. Several months later, an Omaha firefighting team was the first to arrive at a deadly pit bull attack scene. They captured the pit bull with a metal catchpole. The pit bull bent the pole, then strangled itself to death in the cable noose.
It was reported late yesterday that San Ramon firefighters battling a two-alarm blaze had to suspend their efforts temporarily when they spotted several pit bulls at the scene of the fire. This left lives at stake; at the time, the responders were battling a fire at a residential home. Fire Chief Richard Price explained, "There were a large number of animals in the house, we had pit bulls on the first floor of the house that prevented entry of our search crews."
Firefighters typically must retreat when faced with "lethal weapons," (pit bulls), and wait for authorities to remove the dogs.
San Ramon animal control officers were eventually able to remove the pit bulls from the scene. Fortunately, no injuries were reported, and firefighters said a renter was able to escape from the burning home. But here the story takes a deeper menacing turn. Nearly two-dozen large reptile cages were discovered lining the floors of the home. Chief Price said that the house did not have electricity and that about 100 candles were being used to light the home.
Pit bulls, large reptile cages, no electricity (living off the grid?), pray these are not your neighbors.
02/18/09: Pit Bull Bends Metal Catch Pole Before Strangling Self to Death in Noose
10/31/08: Omaha Firefighters Receive Dangerous Pit Bull Training