Sunday, July 25, 2010
Pit Bulls Killed 67%DogsBite.org - Of the 18 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org so far in 2010, pit bull type dogs contributed to 67% (12). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 17 days during this 203-day period. 83% (10) of these incidents involved a family pit bull killing a family member. The second leading dog breed to kill a U.S. citizen in 2010 is the rottweiler,1 which contributed to 17% (3) deaths. Of these deaths, 100% involved a family rottweiler killing a family member.
Pit Bull Victims Include:
- Omar Martinez, 3-years old, Apple Valley, CA (family pit bull)
- Johnny Wilson, 56-years old, Chicago, IL (family pit bull)
- Anastasia Bingham, 5-years old, Terry, MS
- Christine Staab, 37-years old, Philadelphia, PA (family pit bull)
- Jane Doe, 5-days old, Conyers, GA (family pit bull)
- Ethel Horton, 65-years old, Lucknow, SC (family pit bull)
- Thomas Carter Jr., 7-days old, New Port Richey, FL (family pit bull)
- Nathan Aguirre, 2-years old, San Bernardino, CA (family pit bull)
- Savannah Gragg, 9-years old, Kokomo, IN (family pit bull)
- Michael Winters, 30-years old, Lorain County, OH (family pit bull)
- William Parker, 71-years old, Memphis, TN
- Jacob Bisbee, 2-years old, Concord, CA (family pit bull)
U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities: January 1, 2005 to March 8, 2010 (5 years)
2009 U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Statistics - DogsBite.org
2008 U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Statistics - DogsBite.org
2007 U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Statistics - DogsBite.org
2006 U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Statistics - DogsBite.org
2005 U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Statistics - DogsBite.org
Please donate to support our work
DogsBite.org is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt public charity organization. Learn more »
| 7/28/2010 3:43 PM |
Thanks for providing this tremendous service to so many. I personally know that animal control officers from around the country visit your site and use much of your information.
What a compliment! Keep up this amazing work.
| 11/21/2010 1:32 PM |
On Nov 10, while visiting a friend in Las Vegas,NV - My dog harley and I were attacked by two pitbulls
leaving harley very injured and I had a heart attack. As of right now Nov 21, animal control here has still not decided what to do about dogs. Please add me to your stats and consider me a supporter of your blog..........
| 11/21/2010 11:02 PM |
hello, vielee. i am so sorry to hear about the attack on you and your dog. i thought that you would like to know, your heart attack is the THIRD pit related heart attack that i have heard of in the last 3 months.
please contact animal control DAILY, if you have to!!!! contact the police if you need to get results. most of the time, they are very happy to not take any action. you need to be the squeaky wheel.