Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Anderson County, KY - Back in October, we reported that thieves posed as animal control officers in Morristown, TN, were stealing people's pit bulls. The speculation was that the impostors were taking the dogs for the purposes of dogfighting. Both Hamblen and Blount counties were subsequently placed on alert for these impostors. On Tuesday, it was reported that a "fake dog warden" in Anderson County, KY was up to the same tricks.
"Claiming he was with Animal Control, Miller says the man took Tasha, his brown pit bull mix, hitting her twice in the face with a baton before taking off with her in the back of his white Dodge [Dakota with a camper shell].The Tennessee impostors had reportedly been driving a white van, specifically a white Ford Aerostar. The vehicle had markings similar to those used on actual Hamblen County Animal Control vehicles. It is unknown if the Tennessee thieves were ever caught. What is known is that because pit bulls were selectively bred for dogfighting -- to be the "ultimate canine warrior" no less -- they are highly valued by dogfighters, criminals and breeders.
But Anderson County Animal Control Officers say that man wasn't one of them. Their vehicles are white Ford trucks with a distinct logo, and officers will carry badges.
It's an incident now putting a neighborhood on alert. But Miller fears he won't ever see Tasha again.
The suspect has been described as a medium build man. He was wearing a gray T-shirt and blue jeans, driving a white dodge truck.
Anderson County is considering a tougher vicious dog ordinance after four pit bull attacks in the past three weeks."
10/12/08: Pit Bull Napping, Another Ongoing Criminal Trend
Please donate to support our work
DogsBite.org is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt public charity organization. Learn more »
| 5/13/2009 6:25 AM |
The owner didn't have tags or insurance, and we're supposed to feel sorry for him? Sounds to me like a disaster averted. What would he have done had his dog attacked someone? How would he have paid for it? For that matter, since the dog wasn't licensed or registered, how do we know he even had a dog at all?
| 5/13/2009 8:25 AM |
It's sad that it's become so believable to these owners that an animal control officer would just come and take their dog from them for no reason that this type of thing could even take place.
| 5/13/2009 10:11 AM |
Watch the video. Looks like the reporter managed to interview one of the 30% who don't mind living next to a pit bull. I wonder what the other 70% of the KY trailer court occupants would say?
"My god, that dawg kilt 3 cats and one dawg last week"
"Dat dawg wuz aways runnin loos, scaring people. Oner sez, dawg just wantin to play but didn't like no play to me."
"Thank gawd! That dawg kornered my huzban in his truck last munth!"
| 5/14/2009 6:40 PM |
If dog fighters are stealing dogs to use for fighting, then I guess the idea that pits have to be specially bred and trained for fighting holds no water. It can be any and every pit bull.
| 5/14/2009 7:50 PM |
Every single pit bull was bred for fighting -- this aspect of their genetic heritage cannot be taken away or "bred out" of them. Not every pit bull is "game," in fact few are. But every pit bull contains the attack traits that were selectively bred into them: To hold on, to shake and to not let go...even after considerable force is inflicted upon the animal.
| 5/15/2009 3:38 PM |
Officials suspect dog fighting in Nelson County
Nelson County is adjacent to Anderson county. Sounds like the pit bull nappings may be related.
| 10/21/2009 1:14 PM |
Appears to be catching on in Virginia as well:
Police on Lookout for Animal Control Impersonator: