Monday, February 9, 2009

posted by   |  permalink  |  6 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Anonymous bluesmom  |  1/29/2009 8:23 PM  |  Flag
This makes me smile. Mr Ray is very deserving of the honor. Thank you Mr. Ray!

Anonymous Anonymous  |  1/29/2009 9:16 PM  |  Flag
I remember this man from the video! I had no idea he was recovering from cancer surgery. I recall his emotion, his obvious concern...he was in tears. And I remember how starkly it contrasted with the reaction of the pit bull owner.... her flat, unemotional response and lack of remorse.

Anonymous Trigger  |  1/29/2009 9:48 PM  |  Flag
I cannot believe this man was in stitches still recovering from surgery. Stefan Ray is a stunning example of courage and selflessness to be sure.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/10/2009 3:45 AM  |  Flag
The World Herald has a nice update:

Omaha Firefighter Stan Shearer and good Samaritan Stefan Ray know the power of rampaging pit bulls. Quick actions by both men saved two victims from further mauling.

Although the attacks took place months apart and miles away from each other, Shearer and Ray are united by their heroic efforts. Shearer used a metal pole to restrain a pit bull. Ray used his bare hands.

The day after Shearer and other firefighters came to the rescue of a 48-year-old woman in Douglas County, Ray was honored by the city for saving a toddler last summer in eastern Omaha.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/10/2009 5:05 AM  |  Flag
Oh where do we find such men?

No doubt the Nutters will rehash the exploits of SGT Stubby (listed as a mixed breed by the Smithsonian). After a couple hundred deaths, and countless level 5 maulings from the breed I think Stubby's exploits have more than evened out by now.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  2/19/2009 5:06 AM  |  Flag
I love this guy! I am SO glad the mayor gave him an award!