Sunday, July 13, 2008

posted by   |  permalink  |  10 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/13/2008 6:49 PM  |  Flag
I hope someone tells this woman that on the ASPCA web site it does not recommend a pit bull for a family with a young child due to "its' strength and exhuberance."
I would also add prey drive. This infant lives with thirteen pits.
I'll tell you right now anyone who thinks this woman is responsible is nuts.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/13/2008 8:49 PM  |  Flag
Check out her website.....

There is not one word about responsible dog ownership...not ONE word. Virtually NO information on the breed, other than to say how wonderful they are. No warnings about the potential for animal aggression, no warnings about dog/dog aggression, no information about avoiding dog parks, obeying leash laws, etc.

This is one of the worst rescue group websites I have ever seen. There is no explanation as to why she has all these puppies available for adoption....did she take in multiple pregnant dogs? Is she really a back yard breeder?

These are the rescue groups that are a big part of the problem...these are the people who scare me.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/13/2008 8:57 PM  |  Flag
The following is my e-mail to the organization responsible for this story.I have received no response.

My comment is on the puff piece "Pit bulls, vicious or victims". Please include both sides of an issue like this one. I am the victim of a pit bull attack and it has changed my life. I am a dog trainer with AKC Obedience titles on my dogs, Therapy Dogs International certification as well. I have never in my long lifetime seen any behavior from a dog like the behavior I saw during the attack. This was completely unprovoked, there was no warning, no bark, no growl, the coldest thing I have ever seen. This was a hardwired genetic response. Pit bull "Rescue" spokespersons like the one quoted in your article continually deny a genetic like to the attack behavior seen so very frequently in pit bulls. Please set up a search on "dog attacks' and pit bull attacks" and review the material for a month or so. Then rethink the implicit endorsement of the breed in your article. Dogs are what they have been bred to be. The pit bull has been bred for many, many generations to participate in an activity so violent that it is now a felony in all 50 states.

The fact that attendance is down at pit bull adoption fairs speaks well for the common sense of the public. The media does not make up attack stories, I am not the figment of a reporter's imagination. I was living a happy and productive life prior to the attack. All pit bull attack victims share a common desire. We all want to be the last victim. This will never happen if you continue to give the pit bull lobby a free pass.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/14/2008 6:24 AM  |  Flag
It's astonishing that such an organization can exist operating "Tax free" without insurance nor civil liability for placing unstable animals.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/14/2008 9:06 AM  |  Flag
To the above, thank you for your well-written letter. So often, dog owners who point out the myriad of problems with owning a pit bull for a pet are told we are "ignorant" and "know nothing about dogs". I am gratified to see someone with verifiable credentials and experience in dog training confirming what we have all seen, and understand; that pit bulls are genetically hardwired for aggression.

I also have a friend with extensive dog training experience...multiple advanced obedience titles, therapy certification, agility; and she also says, after 17 years training dogs and competing, that "breed matters", and that pit bulls can never, ever, be trusted off leash.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/14/2008 11:33 AM  |  Flag
I would also note that this self-described pit-bull expert gives NO credentials...yet is giving pit bull training classes at local shelters. What qualifies this woman to tell novice dog owners how to manage a dangerous breed of dog?

Will this woman be held accountable when a dog she places kills a neighbors dog, or, even worse, injures a child?

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/15/2008 4:29 AM  |  Flag
Isnt it illegal to have that many dogs?

Anonymous Anonymous  |  7/15/2008 5:15 AM  |  Flag
Just another example of why the dog industry is totally unregulated and dangerous mess.

Blogger Honesty Helps  |  2/11/2009 11:33 AM  |  Flag
Just another example of the mentality of the "No Kill" movement to "save them all". This woman is a public health hazard and an accident waiting to happen.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  9/14/2009 9:57 AM  |  Flag
Has an "accident" happened yet? Or have they all been covered up or gone unreported? I'll be shocked if nothing has happened.