Friday, March 6, 2009

posted by   |  permalink  |  7 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Blogger Honesty Helps  |  3/06/2009 9:24 AM  |  Flag
I have a chow mix, 10 years old. He has the typical chow attitude and I am very careful with him. I still temperament test him all the time. Although he is a sweet, lovable dear, I still don't trust him because of what he is. I got him on the first day of his life as a rescue and did everything right. He went to work with me everyday for socialization and considerable time was spent on him the first year of his life because I was aware of the chow traits. I had always said that chows were my least favorite breed. But he crossed my path and I kept him. Just because I love him dearly doesn't mean I would leave him alone with a child. Love does not conquer all when it comes to animals. I feel for this family but parents have to learn that they can't put certain breeds in their homes and leave their children alone with these dogs for one second. It's an accident waiting to happen and this blog reminds us of it everyday.

Anonymous FoolMeOnce  |  3/06/2009 11:08 AM  |  Flag
Well said, Honesty. I would like to add something I have heard many times throughout my life -- a dog, any breed, can be very dangerous to a new baby, but especially if they are a fighting breed. I've always heard this, and wondered why people would take a chance with their infant. That family must be going through hell right now. To live with that kind of guilt is terrible. I do think the parents are at fault here, though. If they chose to keep the dog after bringing home a new baby, the dog should have been kenneled outside. I love animals, too, but a line must be drawn -- no matter how much we love a dog, it is expendable. Our children are not.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  3/06/2009 11:12 AM  |  Flag
My chow story. I have others.

Couple who had a chow, they were great pet owners, they had a chow, loving dog, when husband was on a business trip wife had to call, dog just snapped and wouldn't let her or kids out of the house, luckily had sense to call animal control and have dog euthanized

Dogs with agression issues shouldn't be getting bred.

This all starts with breeders who don't care and aren't being held responsible for what they put out

Chows have aggression issues.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  3/06/2009 7:22 PM  |  Flag
Kenneling outside is not an option, I believe.

That just means someone in the neighborhood gets killed when the dog gets loose.

Anonymous Anonymous  |  3/07/2009 4:30 AM  |  Flag
This is happening way too much...Newborns are definitely at risk when being introduced into a home with existing dogs.

Aside from the Pit-Rotticides, this seems to be the most frequent DBRF situation.

Anonymous Fool me once  |  3/07/2009 8:20 AM  |  Flag
you are right about the kenneling. I was being generous. They should have gotten rid of the dog.

Anonymous Colleen Sullivan, PhD  |  10/05/2009 1:40 PM  |  Flag
I am a dog lover. I own a yellow lab and a black chow mix. I take 100% responsibility for my dogs' behavior yet I see people with no experience owning an aggressive breed dog and having no idea about responsibility. In Switzerland, you have to have a license to own a dog and dogs themselves have to be licensed if they are an aggressive breed. We are so worried about personal freedom in this country that we are now being overrun by monstrous people with guns and vicious dogs.