DogsBite.org - At the half year mark of 2008, 7 fatal dog attacks have occurred in the United States. The final results in the recent attack involving Lorraine May are not due for another 12 weeks and are not included in these results.
- 57% (4) of the fatalities are due to pit bulls. Each other dog breed (1)
- 57% (4) involved a family dog, of these attacks, 0% were chained
- 14% (1) of all fatalities so far in 2008 involved a chained dog
- 29% (2) fatalities stem from Texas, both dogs being pit bulls
- 71% (5) fatalities involved children ages 5 and below