If animal organizations and pit bull lovers truly cared about the breed, only a single option is available: Ban them. Make it illegal to own and breed pit bulls nationwide. What this breed has suffered by the hands of mankind is unconscionable. As long as it is legal to raise and distribute pit bulls the following will occur:
- Man will continue to breed them for dog fighting, which involves horrifying abuse & neglect.
- He will continue to exacerbate the innate aggression of the breed for his own gain, be it monetary or masculine reasons.
- He will continue to chain them -- the cheapest way to keep a pit at bay.
- He will continue to abandon them as ownership becomes increasing complex and expensive (loss of homeowner insurance policy, mandatory (per dog) insurance policy, micro-chipping, neutering, specialized enclosures, specialized training and more).
- Animal shelters will continue to euthanize pit bulls by the thousands.
As PETA has pronounced, if we want to stop the killing and neglect of this breed, we've got to stop making them.