Sunday, October 15, 2017

posted by   |  permalink  |  9 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

The DogsBite.org comment policy.

Blogger Farmer Jane  |  10/15/2017 10:05 PM  |  Flag
Congratulations, Colleen! You are indeed a shining light. I come here not only for information, but to be refreshed by your sane voice in a world that seems to have gone mad. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Blogger Unknown  |  10/16/2017 12:24 AM  |  Flag
Thank you Colleen. Your work is so important to so many people.

Blogger Your Quiet Neighbor  |  10/16/2017 8:42 AM  |  Flag
Note how the Pima County, Arizona animal shelter is mentioned in this post. And not in a good way. I have personally witnessed the shelter director in the act of pit bull pushing. If there is a serious injury or fatality because of this misguided policy, we, the taxpayers of Pima County will pay a high price.

Blogger Packhorse  |  10/17/2017 1:51 PM  |  Flag
I remember when I first encountered Dogsbite.org. I had been thoroughly brainwashed by the pit bull propaganda, and I didn't want to believe it at first. I shrugged it off. But something made me keep visiting the site, and reading the blog back to the very beginning. I realized I wasn't too proud to admit that I had been wrong.

Blogger Lucu Lencia  |  10/18/2017 11:52 AM  |  Flag
Packhorse - same kind of story for me. I used to believe training could make any dog into a reliable pet when I got my first dog (border collie). Plus I had heard all the pitbull memes repeated so often that I had started to believe them. I never had any interest in owning a pit (or a fighting breed) but I knew people that did own them with (seemingly) no problems and these people pushed the pitbull propaganda hard (especially the nanny dog thing).

After having experienced several failings of training / socialization (some with my own dog and some from others' dogs) I started to realize that breed traits are a large part of the equation. Neither nature nor nurture alone can be fully responsible for behaviour, in ANY species (yes, that includes humans) - it is always a mix of both. It wasn't long after I had this realisation that I sought more information about pit bulls and dog attacks and came across dogsbite.

Blogger EyesOpened  |  10/18/2017 3:34 PM  |  Flag
I definitely agree with the previous commenters, especially Lucu Lencia's great statement about genetic dog traits. That used to be common knowledge and commonly-accepted. A bit of my own background: I grew up with dogs of various breeds (never bully breeds!) and trained and showed one of our dogs in 4-H during the late 90s. Pit bulls weren't that popular then. I always used to scoff at what I thought was the irrational fear and over-dramatic reaction my mom had to pit bulls. I've known several sweet ones over the years.

But I've also learned a lot about the dog industry, including the unfortunate lies about dog training (learned that the hard way), and in the last year or so I stumbled across some pit bull information on Pinterest, of all places. That led to extensive research and the opening of my eyes. Thank God no one in my family--human or animal alike--have ever been a victim of a pit bull. I'm thankful to be armed with this knowledge and will do my part to spread the word and protect those I love.

Thank you, Colleen, for the hard and important work you're doing and your journalistic integrity--it's so refreshing to see facts and logic in action, not just emotions or histrionics. Though the pit advocates may claim we're all just a bunch of haters and not seeking truth, they are the ones who are blinded and overcome by feelings and bias.

Blogger K-Hart  |  10/19/2017 10:15 PM  |  Flag
Happy Anniversary DBO! There are no words to explain how important your work is and how much it's appreciated! Your rational, fact based website is like the eye of the storm in the hurricane of pit bull insanity.
You're saving lives everyday by telling the truth about a creature that has been bred for decades for one purpose - to kill.
You stay strong and resolute even when the cruel, vulgar, depraved pit bull fanatics are engaging in the typical disgusting behavior. DBO is like that friend you can talk to who just gets it.
There are children, pets, and other loved ones who are safer today because of all the hard work you do. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Colleen, although I'm sorry for what happened to you, I'm glad you started DBO. Your own attack may have been the very thing that prevented other attacks from happening. You're a warrior. Never give up, stay strong, and know we're all behind you.

Blogger Colleen Lynn  |  10/19/2017 11:33 PM  |  Flag
Thank you so much to all of you that have left such wonderful comments! Some of the supporters made a Kudoboard for us -- you can read the card here:

10 years is a long time. It was excellent to be back in Seattle for the anniversary. Thank you so much for being such devoted followers and commenters on our blog. It's so important that readers can see comments from the experienced ones. Thank you!!!!! To 10 years and beyond!

Blogger Farmer Jane  |  10/20/2017 9:50 AM  |  Flag
I live not far from Gainesville, Fla. If you've been following the news I'm sure you've heard of the visit we had from a man who has come to represent hate and bigotry in this country. While I know that not all pit bull defenders are racists (to turn their own argument against them they are "racists" because of the entitlement they feel that their breed deserves and their disregard for the lives of others, animal and human), I can't help but draw a parallel between the two groups and their beliefs. The pit defenders loudly and aggressively lobby for their "rights" while denying others the right to live a peaceful life without violence and fear.
The people of Gainesville let it be known that this type of hate won't be tolerated here:
/www.yahoo.com/news/thousands-protestors-show-florida-drown-173900473.html
I'm proud of my community. It's my hope that one day people will come to their senses on this issue of dangerous dogs and throw the bums out in a like manner. Everything you've accomplished, Colleen, is a glimmer on the horizon, leading us on.