Monday, January 16, 2017

posted by   |  permalink  |  11 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

The DogsBite.org comment policy.

Blogger Your Quiet Neighbor  |  1/16/2017 4:13 PM  |  Flag
The dog owner's lack of insurance doesn't mean that a suit can't be filed. And won.

Here in Tucson, an attorney-friend won a $500k judgment in a pit bull mauling case. The victim was a toddler who lived next door to the property where the pit bull was.

The dog's owners didn't have insurance. But the owner of the house they were renting? He was insured. And was sued. Bigtime.

Blogger willy  |  1/16/2017 5:50 PM  |  Flag
Pit bulls must be banned into extinction

Blogger Farmer Jane  |  1/16/2017 10:32 PM  |  Flag
That is an amazing video. You can hear the stress in the officer's voice also, when he's explaining that he shot the dog to the other first responder.

Blogger Colleen Lynn  |  1/16/2017 11:00 PM  |  Flag
It is amazing isn't it Farmer Jane? On so many levels!

Blogger Lucu Lencia  |  1/17/2017 5:09 AM  |  Flag
I've never been seriously attacked (just a few puncture wounds and bruising) so I can't really appreciate the victims fear but the officer did really well to keep her calm and stop her going into shock.

Her hand looked a bit mangled - she may have some loss of dexterity and movement in that hand for the rest of her life.

I can't believe this girl still believes the "how they were raised" myth after this :S

Blogger I want a cute purse  |  1/17/2017 3:09 PM  |  Flag
This such a powerful and telling video. I'm so glad she survived the attack. Prayers and peace to all the victims out there. You have a friend in me.

Blogger I want a cute purse  |  1/17/2017 3:14 PM  |  Flag
She believes the myth because it's spouted at every God given place I know of. How can you think for yourself that something's wrong with Pitbulls when EVERYONE is telling you they are not only good dogs but the best dog. For every one of us that knows the truth there are a handful of idiots trying to cover up what they know nothing about. You know it and I know it.

Blogger K-Hart  |  1/17/2017 9:13 PM  |  Flag
I couldn't agree more!!

Blogger EyesOpened  |  1/19/2017 3:18 PM  |  Flag
The myths, especially the "how they're raised" one, are what people use to reassure themselves that something bad won't happen to them. Believing the myths gives them a sense of control. I've noticed this kind of thinking in other areas of life, too, but we certainly see it displayed constantly on comment threads for pit bull and dog attack articles--and particularly by pit bull owners.

I love dogs and would love to think that one would never hurt me. Many of us have been raised on stories like Old Yeller and White Fang, but adults have to face reality.

I hope this young woman regains full use of her hand and recovers from this trauma. Kudos to the wonderful police officer!

Blogger Your Quiet Neighbor  |  1/20/2017 8:11 AM  |  Flag
Remember how the Old Yeller story ended? With the dog becoming rabid?

Blogger EyesOpened  |  1/20/2017 4:13 PM  |  Flag
Yes, I thought about that. Pit advocates would just love it if, like Old Yeller, all the attacking pits had that excuse, wouldn't they? Yet none of these dogs test positive for rabies (though of course many of them haven't been vaccinated).

I just think a lot of us have been conditioned to believe that treating an animal nicely means it will respond in kind. That may be where this attitude of "it's never the dog's fault" comes from. Sigh.