Wednesday, October 15, 2014

posted by   |  permalink  |  6 comments  | email  |icon blog rss  |icon comment rss

Blogger Dayna Hamilton  |  10/15/2014 11:15 AM  |  Flag
I am so glad DBO exists and does such a great job of documenting this info. So sorry how you got started though... I think your website and others like yours have helped me to become aware of this dangerous breed of dog and helped keep my family and myself safe.

Blogger Colleen Lynn  |  10/15/2014 4:07 PM  |  Flag
Email sent in from Texas resident - 3:50pm

"Dear Colleen,

Congratulations on seven years of intense "waking up" of communities, neighborhoods and government, who were totally unaware of this problem, or the problem was hidden by local government or animal control groups.

These secrets are slowly being opened for citizens to begin to understand what is happening in their neighborhoods, that they can be attacked and murdered walking to the mailbox and no one is held responsible. Citizens can report aggressive behavior by these dogs, but local government does not respond. Many local governments see themselves as caretakers of dogs, rather than neighbors, which is why they call themselves "animal care" groups.

The legal system is beginning to see how our rights are being minimized, and one appellate court in Maryland called pit bulls Inherently Dangerous. More crimes against citizens by dangerous dogs are being investigated by community police and sheriff departments and pressing criminal charges.

There is still more to go as state governments make laws that are unenforceable or even unknown to some counties. States are often political and will follow the "party" rather than the need for safety in their neighborhoods. The federal government discourages the Centers for Disease Control from reporting information about dangerous dog attacks throughout the country. Studies by one group of medial doctors did research in their hospital and found that dog attacks are underreported. It means that some of the dog maulings and deaths in your neighborhood or state are not reported to the public via the newspaper or police department, or the Centers for Disease Control. The Veterinarians' influence of this data, to make dangerous dogs look harmless, is sad but true.

Aurora, Colorado will vote soon as the long-term ban of pit bull has been brought up for a vote. Animal fanatics hope that pit bulls will roam their streets. You keep giving them the information they need to maintain their ban and keep their cities safe. Please donate today for community safety, that the ban will be maintained, and that this community will not be overcome by pit bulls!

Haven't we all had enough?"

Blogger Cat and Daisy Lynn Rudert  |  10/15/2014 7:21 PM  |  Flag
Dear I am forever grateful for your dedicated, educated, and devoted efforts to collect rich data that will provide decision makers with the knowledge they need to make important safety decisions for others. I splurged toay and enjoyed a cupcake in your honor! Happy Birthday and I hope for decades more! Cat and Daisy Lynn,

Blogger Farmer Jane  |  10/19/2014 8:13 AM  |  Flag
Colleen, thank you so much for the effort and time that you give, and for the voice of sanity that you provide. However, I feel that the battle is being lost. I don't know if it's just the area I live in, but there are more pit bulls as pets than the statistics show. I seriously fear that there will soon be no other dogs. I watched a parade the other day put on for the University of Florida's homecoming. The whole city of Gainesville gets involved. Banks and schools close, and the main roads are blocked off. I only watched about a quarter of it, and I counted 22 pit bulls taking part in the parade. Five were on a float for a local "animal" rescue, which was obviously a pit rescue. The rest were walking with people in the parade. Several had tutus. One was in a baby stroller. The only dog that was not a pit was the German Shepherd K9 with the law enforcement float. Fortunately, it was a good day, and no one was hurt(or, if they were, it didn't make the papers). I guess what I'm trying to say is that these dogs are everywhere. Each one of these owners has no idea that they are living with a ticking time bomb. And if the deaths and maulings don't change their minds, I don't know if the tide can be turned against so many. Those of us that know live in fear. There is no safe place to be outdoors, no neighborhood or park that is pit free. There are just so many.

OpenID maultalk  |  10/19/2014 7:18 PM  |  Flag
Are you sure that was not in part participation for Pit Bull Awareness Day? Bully groups across the U.S. all October long have public events or participate in other public events to shine a light on the "breed-ambassadors."

Blogger Farmer Jane  |  10/19/2014 9:08 PM  |  Flag
If all of those pits and their owners were there for pit awareness day, it was rather insidiously done. There was no mention of pits by anyone. There were no signs and they weren't together as a group. It was just a pit on a float, or walking with a group, like kids who won a science award, the runners from that mornings run, floats from local businesses, etc. The only group was the animal rescue who were described as a dog rescue by the MC's, but only had pits on their float. I would be pleased to think that some of these had been trucked in to make a presence, but I think they are all residents. Pretty much anyone you talk to around here is pro-pit. Their families have raised them forever and they are all wigglebutts blah, blah, blah. Their total ignorance is pretty scary. Everyone drinks the kool-aide and thinks that all the stories of deaths and maulings are fabricated, exagerrated, or are about dogs that were raised to be violent. "My dog would never do that. He's a real sweetie pie."